Thursday, June 16, 2011

FOR JOY

Throughout this life there are many trials and hardships we must all face. There are never-ending ups and downs, potholes, and slaps in the face of all kinds. People let us down, put us down, and try to keep us down. Others scream in our ears or even bring us physical harm. Though it hurts to accept the truth that these moments will come and it stings when salt gets in our wounds, there is hope on the horizon.

This morning as I was heading for my Bible, Hebrews 12 began echoing in my mind. I couldn’t recall exactly what that portion of Scripture was about, but I was eager to turn and see what it would reveal. I had to fight off the wave of tears that swept over me as I began reading the second verse: “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2 (NIV)

You see, just yesterday I had to bear a very difficult circumstance amidst my already hectic day. I was hurt by what happened and though I was able to lean upon Jesus to get me through, I had a hard time laying it down and just moving on. As soon as I read those powerful words this morning, I knew God was saying to me, “Katie Marie, I know your day was hard...I saw what happened to you, and it wasn’t right. That was certainly not what I wanted for you, but look at all my Son endured. For the joy set before Him, He suffered on that horrific cross and harbored the full amount of shame that was intended for the world.”

Can you fathom? Have you imagined the weight of our sin upon Christ’s back? Do you realize that the soldiers who were to crucify Him plucked out the individual hairs of His beard...that they literally spit in His face as He writhed in pain upon the whipping post? (Isaiah 50:6) Do you recall how they mocked Jesus and taunted Him to save Himself as He hung from those nails? (Mark 15:30) Do you remember?

The Scripture goes on: “Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” Hebrews 12:3 (NIV)

I don’t know what you’ve had to endure lately or what is to unfold in your coming days, but I do know one thing. Our God is loving, merciful, and present. He saw me yesterday, even through my pain, as I was forced to grin and bear that situation. My Father comforted me and showered His strength upon me so I could pull myself together and carry on with the mission that was ahead. I know He was still with me this morning, putting Hebrews 12 on my heart to remind me of the best approach to get through every circumstance. And it will get you through, too...

We must continue to fix our eyes on Jesus, no matter what. We must look to Him and follow His gaze to see what HE was focused on as He endured the cross...the joy set before Him.

Life on earth is so temporary, so fleeting. One day bumps into another, and weeks pass like race cars on a track. Months and years fly by, but all that really matters is the eternal...the unseen things. (1 Corinthians 4:18) And what is yet to be seen is beautiful. It is full of joy and more than worthy of our hope. I speak of the time when we will see our Creator face-to-face and live with Him forever!

Today I encourage you as I encourage myself. Let us not grow weary or lose heart; this too shall pass. Look to the joy you have in Christ and the promises of God written on your heart to get you through everything you face. No matter what it is, how tough or trying, remember all of the hardships Jesus endured on this earth. Nothing you or I come up against will ever compare to the suffering He faithfully bore. Call on Him to be your strength, for in your greatest weakness, His strength is perfected. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

As I finished reading those incredible verses in Hebrews 12, a few words escaped my lips, “Jesus, if You did it, I can, too.”

If Jesus conquered all He did, we can certainly triumph over our own trials each day. Let us fix our eyes upon Christ today, and endure everything just as He did: for joy...

In His Love,
Katie Marie

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment