Tuesday, November 9, 2010

COME AWAY

Hi, precious people!

I just want to share a cool little moment and insight I had this morning. Today I ducked away with God to the end of a very special private pier extending into Lake Michigan’s waters. At its concrete and metal edge stands a lone light pole with white power-pox attached. In the night, it brightly shines its red beacon to welcome boaters and announce the pier’s presence...hmmm - much like God, don't ya think?

This is the scene where I absolutely love to be, with arms wrapped tightly around this thin pole, perched atop its little power-source. This my beloved “Jesus Spot.” It’s the place I love most in this whole world to sit and hang out with my Savior King. Through countless seasons and years, God has faithfully met with me here. I’ve never once been “stood up” for one of our dates, though many times I was long, long overdue for our rendezvous. I guess that’s why He’s God and I am not ☺

As we sat there this mild, sun-soaked morning, my Creator wrapped me up in Divine comfort and drenched me in His unmistakable love. I couldn’t help but close my eyes, as I always do, to take in the gentle noise of the waters lapping as they hugged around the massive pier’s head. I looked out upon the open waters splayed out before me, watching the sunlight dance upon the rolling waves and knew I was being delighted in my Father in Heaven. The chilly winds of late fall nipped away at my cheeks, but I didn’t mind…I was warm everywhere else.

There I was, so fulfilled and enveloped in love, yet I found myself still desiring something more from God. I wanted hear His sweet voice echoing back at me…I wanted to know what was He was planning to unfold for my day, week, year, and life. I thought I needed Him to tell me what was on His mind for me for that moment...I did. Though His words came out differently than I expected to hear, He whispered forth the phrases I needed to hear most.

As my eyes followed the waters being pulled along by the channel’s current, God suddenly spoke so tenderly: “Come away with Me…don’t think about another thing, don’t take another step today; just come away with Me.” I clung tightly there to that trusty light pole and, yet again, released all of my designs and plans. I unraveled every strand of my tight-knit will for the umpteenth time.

Though sometimes, God reveals His plans and steps to me, today He wanted me to simply sit…to come away with Him. He wanted me to search out our own little nook in the world, away from the clutches of life, free from the tick-tock of time, and just sit in His loving arms. My Heavenly Father wanted to take me away to that special place…His embrace. That’s it.

This point is simple, but God sometimes is simple. He’s incomparably creative, complex, and mysterious, but every once in a while He strips all of that away to get down to the bare bones of it all:

He just wants you…
He just wants me…
He just wants us…
To come away.

Cozy up in your favorite blankie and oversized chair; sprawl out on your back and gaze upon the illuminated numbered and named stars; hike to your favorite overlook; bury your toes deep into your favorite beachy sands; grab the keys and take that one special drive only you and God know about. Whatever you do, wherever you go, whenever you can, carve the time out and get away with God.

Then close your eyes to hear Him gently calling out to you much like He did to me today: “Come away with Me; don’t think about another thing, don’t take another step…just come away with Me.”

2 comments:

  1. Katie, such beautiful words that paint an even more amazing picture of how God interacts with us. We CAN feel Him, His presence, His love. I hear Him as you do! I am so honored and blessed that He speaks to me, to my soul, my heart! I am going to look forward to your blog posts I can tell!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't He such an amazing God, precious Kim? Who could imagine the God of the entire universe cares enough to speak to us and love on us?

    ReplyDelete