Sunday, April 24, 2011

CLOUD RIDERS

Happy Resurrection Weekend to you, my blog friend! I’d like to share a little story with you. Just the other day I was standing in the checkout line at a local Walgreens when my eyes were drawn to some movement coming from a high window.

Gorgeous, puffy clouds were being pushed forward on a jet stream high in the sky. A moment later my gaze was pulled over to the ticking hands of the store’s clock just beside the window. As the second hand rounded 12 o’clock, it began traveling in the exact same direction as the clouds. Though the two were aligned for but a few brief moments, they continued to contain one similarity: forward movement.

Suddenly, the realization that life was quickly passing and clearly moving forward came to mind. Much like watching the time slip by on a running microwave, I was keenly aware of just how fleeting time is. Not only that, but life is being continuously moved along by the very hand of God.

Today you may be feeling like His touch is a bit too fast-paced or perhaps that He’s not carrying you forward quickly enough. You might find yourself wishing your days would simply slow down to a tolerable pace. Maybe you’re longing for that second hand of the clock to wiz around and around to hasten your timeline and plans. Are you trying to hit the pause on your clock or are your moments dragging on without end?

Most times it seems my days pass too quickly. But that day, as I watched those sweeping clouds rolling forward with the tick of that clock, I found myself actually thankful for the fast-forward movement of this life. You see, I am longing for the first moment when time no longer exists. On that glorious day, I will gaze upon the face of my risen Redeemer, Jesus Christ. I can’t wait to feel His loving embrace, touch those nail-scarred hands, and kiss the feet of Him who carried the rugged cross for me. Face to face with Jesus, I’ll attempt to find the words to somehow express my gratitude for His supreme sacrifice for my life.

No matter the circumstances you find yourself in over this blessed Easter weekend, ponder this thought: with every step you take and every tick of the second hand, you are one moment closer to seeing your risen Savior. Are you ready?

Let us not allow ourselves to question God’s timeline or tolerate ticking clocks that distract from the Kingdom work He has for us. Neither of those are luxuries we can afford. Instead, let’s keep our eyes and attentions focused on what really matters. Our Heavenly Father holds all of time in His hands and His push is the absolute perfect pace.

May each of us live out every second consciously reflecting the beautiful redemption we have so freely received. Christ hung upon that splintered tree for us, and His mind was completely focused on our unique faces throughout those fatal hours. In return, I pray God would forever imprint the heart-wrenching image of His only Son splayed upon that cross into the forefront of our minds.

We can’t alter the passing of time or the forward thrust of life, but we can grow in our depth of gratitude for Christ’s sacrifice and anticipation of being in His presence. We know not the day or the hour, but one day soon we ourselves will be caught up to meet Christ in the most breathtaking of clouds...

“For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.” 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment