Tuesday, October 5, 2010

LOVE PACT

Hey friends!

I tell you what - I am absolutely amazed day in and out to realize the impact I have on people just by going out of my way to actually care. Man, we sure do live in a hurting world. We walk the soils of "What's in it for me?" and "Nothing in life is free." Sometimes these attitudes work against people like me who just sincerely want to bless strangers with a smile or genuine, "how are you today?" They may fight against me, but they surely haven't stopped me.

Every single day I am given opportunities to shine my Savior's light in both extremely common and very unusual ways. Most days, I just like to wait that extra 30 seconds to keep the door open for someone walking way behind me, offer an extra hand to a person with arms full, or show a stranger how to make "homemade cappuccino" when RaceTrac's machine has gone kaput. On occasion, I'll feel led to share a specific encouragement to someone or take care of a need that wasn't even evident to my eye. After I've filled that need, however, lots of times I am met by tears of thanks for fulfilling a silent prayer only God could have known about. (All glory to Him...I was just the little messenger. :) I'm not perfect and I know I must drop the ball in a million ways, but I must say I have become purposeful to keep my eyes open for the everyday opportunities to love on another.

I challenge you to make a pact with Jesus for even one whole day to shine His light and love in the simplest, but sometimes most impacting ways. Be intentional for this day to step out of your comfort zone, offering your true, heartfelt smile to someone who may never smile back at you. Encourage a stranger you see working hard at their "menial" job. Open your eyes to every beating human heart that crosses your path today.

May I ask you...what makes one person above another, anyway? Is one person more valued because he drives a certain car and wears a button-down shirt to work everyday? Is he above someone who pushes a broom or toilet-brush 9 hours a day? I dare boldly say, "NO!" All three of these people need genuine Christ-filled love and compassion. We are all flesh and blood and we all need each other.

Pay forward what you have been given...share your encouragement, warm hugs, extra hand, your smile, bottle of water (unopened, of course:), and your genuine concern for a stranger's well-being. I do warn you, though; by taking on this Jesus' loving mentality for even a day, you may get some strange looks and stumble across people who are very skeptical or even downright rude to you. You run the risk of offering kindness only to receive bitter hate in return. You might get a cruel remark in exchange for your genuine, "How's your day going?" Is that going to stop you? To me, these are small prices to pay in exchange for all I've been given through Jesus' love and sacrifice. No matter what, I want to keep on loving; you, too?

You may find yourself thinking, "What's in it for me? What about my needs; my hard day?" Think of this...if you put another person's well-being in front of your own, not only will you be doing what Jesus asked of you, you'll be changing this world one heart at a time and eternity will be impacted. The seeds you plant will also return you awesome fruit and blessings. I have experienced this over and over and over! Trust me, God is big enough and caring enough to be sure He sends along another unsuspecting stranger to pour that love right on back to you. :) No matter what you get in exchange for your efforts, know He is smiling back at you, and that's the best smile you could ever receive.

Make a love pact with Jesus to be His hands and feet with all who step into your life today; be His warm smile, kind voice, compassionate eyes, and loving arms. Be God's heart bursting out upon His beloved creation. Who knows? You may just be the only gift they receive this day, week, month or even year. I'll tell you who knows; the God of love does and He's sending you in His place this very day...

Grace and Love,
Katie Marie :)

1 comment:

  1. K,

    I am soooo stinkin' proud of you! I have just watched you blossom and grow into this beautiful vibrant flower that God has opened up to the world for them to enjoy the beauty and sweet fragrance that He alone can give! I am absolutely blown away by your writing but even more by who you are! You truly have a gift, and you are a gift to this world and especially to me. I am honored that I get to be your very best friend. I love you!!!

    Your BFF :)

    ReplyDelete