Thursday, September 9, 2010

THE RAINBOW

Yesterday I witnessed something spectacular. I have never seen anything like it in all my life. Before my awestruck eyes, I watched as the God of the Universe worked out His artistry. There, suspended over the water beyond me rested the end of a brilliant rainbow. God not only hovered its right side over the water, but He slowly moved to settle its left side upon it, as well.

We’ve all heard stories of chasing the rainbow’s end to find its pot of gold or to come face-to-face with a peculiar little leprechaun outfitted in green velour. Apparently, not many others have witnessed a rainbow’s end so stories have been conjured up to capture its mystery. It’s true; there was definitely “mystery” involved in this incredibly rare and special encounter with God. I got to witness the majesty of His work while He revealed Himself to me yet again. I watched as the Lord clearly made His presence known to me...He was right there; right with me.

Most rainbows we see as the hope-filled bow God blesses the sky with after a hard rain or turbulent storm. This is the promise of God back from the days of Noah. After torrential downpours it’s always encouraging to scan the stirred skies looking for those brilliant colors suspended. This rainbow, though, was very special. It did not reveal a brimming pot of gold or a chest bursting with treasure; it did not come after the storm, as a promise the shower was over…it brought the rain.

My best friend and I stood together for the better part of 15 minutes staring in utter shock as we watched this beautiful rainbow’s end draw closer and closer to our balcony. The closer it got, the nearer the storm came, but it was beautiful. We wanted it to travel over to us so we could admire it more intricately. As I longed for the rainbow to draw in, deep inside I realized it carried a storm right along with it. I also knew there was nothing I could do to stop it, even if I wanted to.

My eyes were focused at the end of that rainbow until the last moment I was pushed inside to escape the hard rain and winds. I was given something beautiful to look upon as a nasty storm drew nearer and nearer until, at last, it was time to take cover. Within 10 minutes the front blew past, taking with it all of the overcast cover that once hovered over. Suddenly, off in the distance, brilliant blue skies shone through puffy illuminated clouds. It was breathtaking.

This life is filled with storms and turbulence; Jesus Himself said we would have trouble a plenty. No one welcomes it, yet still it comes. At times we can even watch the whirlwinds blow in, paralyzed in their path and unable to move out of the way.

As I look back on past downpours in my life, amidst the tears and pain, I have witnessed such breathtaking beauty. Over and over I’ve found God’s loving and tender fingerprints gracing the scene and I’ve gathered deep appreciation for His heart. God reminded me through that beautiful rainbow yesterday that even though driving showers will come to pelt some of our days, He shows up before each them to bless, prepare, comfort, and love on us. He will be with us through every moment of upcoming power failure, flashes of lightning, and frightening claps of thunder. He is already standing on the other side of the tempests with paintbrush in hand just waiting for the right moment to cast another brilliant masterpiece upon the sky’s canvas.

Of course, there is not always going to be a rainbow before a torrent or brilliant skies after, but this time there was. Storms aren’t always short, but this one was. Life’s showers and fronts won’t always pass quickly, but some will. Though it’s hard, we’re called to praise Him beyond circumstance.

I don’t have this road marked “life” figured out, but I do know the Mighty God who does; He’s teaching me to walk with Him day-by-day, moment-by-moment. With Christ’s grace as my shelter, I’m learning to gaze into the rainbows of God's promises to find beauty, even when it means He’s bringing on the rain…

No comments:

Post a Comment